Sometimes, American English does not make any sense.
Like if someone says this: You can't squeeze blood out of turnip.
比如有人说:你不能从萝卜里挤出血。(squeeze blood out of turnip)
Vegetables don't have any blood in them... And who is squeezing turnips?
蔬菜可没有血……那谁又在压榨萝卜呢?
Let's see if we can figure out what it means...
让我们来听听,能否明白这个短语的意思……
Hey, Can you loan me $50.00, I can pay you back on Friday.
嘿,你能借我50刀么,我周五就还你的。
I wish I could help, but I don't have any money....
我真的希望能帮助你,但是我确实没有钱……
Are you sure? I really need it.
你确定?我真的很需要。
I understand, but you can't squeeze blood out of turnip.
我明白,但是你不可能从萝卜里挤出血啊。(squeeze blood out of turnip)
You can't squeeze blood from a turnip means you cannot get something from a person that they don't have to give you.
你不能从萝卜里挤出血的意思是你不能从某人那里得到他们压根就没有的东西。
And it's used about money.
这个短语用于钱财方面。
You see, it actually makes sense, because no matter how hard you squeeze a turnip, it will never bleed,
大家看,其实也很好明白的,因为不论你怎么压榨萝卜,它也不会流血。
and if somebody does not have any money to give you, you'll never be able to get it.
所以如果某人没有钱给你,你永远也得不到。
And that's English in a Minute.
以上就是本期的《 一分钟英语》。