新英语900句视频版 第8课:一个晚宴 文本如下:
PAUL:Hey, Joana. Why aren't you ready? It's almost 7 o'clock!
嗨, 琼娜! 你怎么还没准备好? 快七点了!
JOANA: I'm sorry, Paulo. I'm not going. I have to study.
对不起, 保罗. 我不去了, 我要念书.
PAUL:But you can study later. Don't you want to go?
念书可以待会儿再念, 你不想去吗?
JOANA: No, not really. I don't like dinner parties.
嗯, 我不太想去, 我不喜欢宴会.
PAUL:But what can I tell the Crawfords?
那么我怎么跟郭佛夫妇说呢?
JOANA: Tell them I'm sick.
告诉他们说我不舒服.
PAUL:But you aren't sick. Come on, Joana. I don't like to lie.
可是你没有不舒服呀! 拜托, 琼娜, 我不喜欢撒谎.
JOANA: And I don't like to go to dinner parties.
我不喜欢参加宴会.
PAUL:Come on, Joana. You can't say "no" to the Crawfords.
琼娜帮个忙, 你不能拒绝郭佛家人的邀请.
JOANA: My English is so bad, and they don't speak Portuguese.
我的英文那么差, 而他们又不会说葡萄牙文.
PAUL:Your English is fine. And you have a good accent.
你的英文很好, 而且你的发音很标准.
JOANA: Do you really think so?
你真的这样认为吗?
PAUL:Yes, I do. And you can practice your English at the party.
是的, 我真的这样认为. 何况你参加宴会, 又可以练习说英文.
JOANA: You're so confident.
你倒很有信心.
PAUL:Then you're coming?
这么说, 你是要去了.
JOANA: No, Paulo. I don't want to go.
不, 保罗, 我还是不想去.
PAUL:Please, Joana. Do it for me. For my career.
琼娜, 我求你, 就算是为我好了, 为了我的前途
JOANA: Who's that?
是谁啊?
PAUL:He's here. Please, Joana, for me. The door's open! Come in!
他来了, 琼娜请帮我开开门. 门没锁, 请进!
MICHAEL: Hi, Paulo.
嗨, 保罗.
PAUL:Hello, Michael. Do you know my sister, Joana?
嗨, 迈克尔. 你认不认识我妹妹琼娜?
MICHAEL: No, I don't.
不认识.
PAUL:Joana, I want you to meet Michael Crawford. He's driving us to his parents' party.
琼娜, 介绍一下, 这是迈克尔?郭佛. 他要载我们去参加他父母的宴会.
JOANA: How do you do?
你好.
MICHAEL: It's a pleasure to meet you Joana.
琼娜, 很高兴认识 .
PAUL:I'm ready, but Joana...
我已经准备好了, 但是琼娜她...
JOANA: Oh, Paulo. Just five more minutes. Sorry to keep you waiting.
噢, 保罗, 再五分钟就好了. 对不起, 让你等.
MICHAEL: Don't apologize. I'm happy you're coming.
不用道歉, 我很高兴你们来参加.
MR. CRAWFORD: Michael.
迈克尔.
MICHAEL: Yes, Dad.
爸爸, 什么事?
MR. CRAWFORD: We have to talk.
我们必须谈一谈.
MICHAEL: Oh? What about?
哦? 谈什么?
MR. CRAWFORD: The business, son.
谈有关公司的事.
MICHAEL: What about it?
公司怎么样?
MR. CRAWFORD: It's growing. I want an assistant, and...
公司在扩大业务, 我需要一个助手, 而...
MICHAEL: And you want me.
而您需要我.
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes. I'm 57. Soon...
对, 我已经五十七岁了, 没多久...
MICHAEL: Dad. You know I'm an artist.
爸爸, 你知道我是个艺术家.
MR. CRAWFORD: I don't understand.
我不了解.
MICHAEL: I know you don't.
我知道你不了解.
MR. CRAWFORD: You're 29. You're intelligent.
你二十九岁, 又很有头脑.
MICHAEL: And I want to paint.
我要画画.
MR. CRAWFORD: That's a hobby, not a career.
那是一种嗜好, 不是一种职业.
MICHAEL: What about Michelangelo or Picasso? Was it a hobby for them, too?
米开朗基罗跟毕加索呢? 画画对他们来讲也是一种嗜好吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: No. Of course not. But...
不是, 当然不是, 可是...
MICHAEL: But what? Maybe I'm not Picasso. But I have to try. Give me a year. One more year.
可是怎么样? 我固然不是毕加索, 可是我不能不试一试. 再给我一年的时间好了, 一年.